Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mavs May be in the Finals, but Their Logo is in Last Place

by: Charles Lawson

The Dallas Mavericks have played second fiddle to the Cowboys in the Metroplex ever since their inception. Odds are that they always will. Whether it's fair that a team that has been a perennial contender for a long time now is a second class citizen to a team that has been more dud than dynasty for over a decade now is arguable.

But there is no comparison when you get down to the teams respective branding. The Dallas Cowboy star is one of the most iconic logos in the world. If you have any grip on American culture, you know that star.



But the Mavericks logo has to be one of the top 5 worst sports logos EVER. It was Ludwig Mies van der Rohe who said "less is more". Which is the mantra of many graphic designers. But it is certainly not the mantra of whomever designed the Mavs' logo.

I mean... what in the holy hell is this thing? There are so many different shapes in there! It almost stabs you in the eye when you look at it. Never mind the little sleepy pony who looks nothing less than cuddly. I wanna brush it's hair and tell it my secrets, not run in fear. It's like a unicorn that has a lame "M" on it's forehead rather than a horn. I know Mark Cuban is a billionaire, so can he not afford a high end designer? Was he too busy to look at proofs? Did his buddy have a wife who knew "How ta werk tha computin' machine"?

If these guys can win a ring, I think Cuban should reward us all with an overhaul of the team's Corporate ID. But I guess it could be worse... they could still have that awful "M" wearing a cowboy hat.

3 comments:

  1. I think the logo works. I'm not a Dallas fan at all. Actually I a solid AZ fan, but artfully I think the Mavs have one of the best logos in the league and of all logos. Why? It works on many levels, it has a futuristic feel with it's subtle bid to Star Treck while also capturing the past with its use of the horse something that was indeed a big part of life. The future says anything is possible, the past says where we come from. It's all cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a couple typos, sorry
    I think the logo works. I'm not a Dallas fan at all. Actually I am a solid AZ fan, but artfully I think the Mavs have one of the best logos in the league and of all logos. Why? It works on many levels, it has a futuristic feel with it's subtle bid to Star Trek while also capturing the past with its use of the horse something that was indeed a big part of life. The future says anything is possible, the past says where we come from. It's all cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! yeah it is like star trek! some crazy alien pony people!

    ReplyDelete